Pre-Operative Information: Dr. Schumacher-Feero
The date of your cataract surgery is _____________________________________.
- You will need to pre-register by telephone with Maine General Medical Center prior to your surgical date. We ask that you complete this step at least 3 business days prior to your surgery date by calling 626-1583 or 1-800-343-3400.
- Because of medications given for sedation, you will need a driver to take you home from the hospital after surgery. Please make sure that you have arranged for transportation.
- You will need to start eye drops 3 days prior to your surgical date. Wait 10 minutes between one drop and the other to avoid washing out the first drop. Begin your drops on ____________________________________________.
You will receive a prescription for Zymaxid, an antibiotic. Fill this at your preferred pharmacy. Use one drop four (4) times a day in the eye that is having surgery. Also, place one drop in the eye on the morning of surgery.
You will receive a prescription for Ketorolac, an anti-inflammatory. Use one drop four (4) times a day in the eye having surgery. Also, place one drop in the eye on the morning of surgery.
- On the night before surgery or early on the morning of surgery, wash your hair for hygiene.
- On the day of surgery:
- Take all of your usual medications with a sip of water. If you take insulin and will not be eating, take ½ of your usual morning dose of long-acting insulin. If you use inhalers, bring them with you to the hospital.
- Completely remove all face makeup. This includes all sunscreens, moisturizers, liquid foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, and eye shadow. Place drops in the eye that will have surgery.
- Remove earrings and necklaces and leave them at home. Wear comfortable clothing. It is generally not necessary to remove hearing aids or dentures prior to surgery
- You may eat a light breakfast before 8 am on the morning of surgery. No solid foods after 8 am. You may have clear liquids such as black coffee, tea, apple juice, soft drinks, or soup broth up to 3 hours before your surgery. Sugar in coffee or tea is okay. No milk, cream, orange, pineapple, prune juice, or alcohol.
- Arrive at the hospital by ________________________________________.
- Go to the Same Day Surgery Unit on the 3rd floor of Maine General Medical Center in Augusta. It is not necessary to stop at patient registration. You will be at the hospital for 2-3 hours. The nurse will provide you with a cap for your head and a gown to cover your clothing. A dilating gel will be placed in the eye that will have surgery. The nurse will start an IV and give you appropriate medication for sedation to ensure your comfort before, during, and after the surgery. After surgery, you will be given something to eat and drink.
- You will be given a list of post-surgery instructions before you leave the hospital.
- You will return to the office on the day after surgery to see Dr. Schumacher-Feero at ______________________.